Music has always been a part of me. Long before running, I played the piano, was a dancer, and sang in choir. Now that running is my passion, I still like to incorporate my love for music and have learned that a good playlist can make all the difference during a long run or on race day. (I usually only listen w/ 1 earbud in so I can also be aware of my surroundings.)
Here’s a small sample from my “BQ RUN FAST!” playlist I listened to at Eugene marathon. Maybe you can find something new here you’d like to try. I’m always on the hunt for a good running song!
1. “Alive” by Krewella: Come on make me feel alive! Need I say more?
2. “Bombom” by Macklemore: Not your traditional running song. All instrumental, this beat builds from simple piano tunes to trumpets to a full band. I picture a marching band surrounding me as I cross the finish line.
3. “Til I Collapse” by Eminem: If Eminem doesn’t motivate you, I don’t know what will. Sometimes I just need to be yelled at.
4. “Come Fly with Me” by Frank Sinatra: This takes me to a happy place and makes me feel light as a feather.
5. “Carry On” by Fun: Calming yet motivational.
6. “Harlem Shake” by Baauer: This makes me laugh as I think of the YouTube videos, and the beat is awesome. I have it on my playlist twice because it can be a good distraction.
7. “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons: Rock is necessary to mix it up.
8. “Started from the Bottom” by Drake: Now I’m HERE!
9. “#thatPOWER” by Justin Bieber: Best. running. beat. ever. (You can make a little fun of me for this one.)
10. “Victory Lap” by Mackelmore: The title says it all, but let’s not forget about the fireworks sound effects and the crowd cheering in the background bringing you home!
What else should I add to my playlist?